Student sits cross-legged on a green sofa in a student residence hall and reads a book, link to page Find Student Hall  | © DAAD/Jan Zappner

Find student hall

Information, addresses and application details on a large selection of student residence halls in Germany

Humboldtstraße 21 , 69120 Heidelberg

Location: Near campus "Im Neuenheimer Feld" (Faculties of Medicine and Natural Sciences, university clinics, University of Education). Central cafeteria with Café Botanik, beer garden and internet café.

"Comeniushaus" underwent complete conversion and renovation from 2008 to 2009 and offers 183 furnished rooms as apartments for one two persons.

Year of construction 1968 (complete conversion and renovation in 2008/2009)
Four storeys without lift
Good public transport, quiet location


Studierendenwerk Heidelberg


183 Places

Internet access


TV connection


Shared facilities

Music room, student residence bar, student residence café, washing machines and dryers, bike cellar
Limited number of car parking spaces, rent per parking space 10 EUR per month

Special deals for students with children / families

Around 5% of students in Heidelberg are parents. Since the end of the 1960s, the Heidelberg student union has offered all-day childcare to make sure that their children are well looked after whilst their parents are busy concentrating in lectures. Children in Heidelberg receive loving care starting from 8 months to school age; in Heilbronn until they are 3. The amount parents pay monthly is graded, in all daycares, according to gross income. You can find application forms in the InfoCenter, from daycare managers on-site, at nursery management or online on the homepage.

Special deals for international students

There are tutors in many Heidelberg student union halls who are responsible for looking after international students. Please find more information here.

Rent deposit

450 EUR

Duration of housing

The minimum rental period is one semester. Shorter rental periods are not accepted. The residence period is limited so that as many students as possible can find affordable accommodation. This means all rental contracts are temporary, with the basic residence period being 6 semesters. However, you can extend your rental contract by another 6 semesters (12 semesters in total) in the following cases:
- by contributing to the residence (see special functions)
- for disabled or chronically ill students
- for students with families
- if you have an imminent final exam (confirmation needed)


We have taken great care in collecting and evaluating the information provided in the "Student Residence Finder". However, the DAAD and Content5 assume no responsibility for possible inaccuracies. For binding information and application details, please contact the responsible Studentenwerk.


Size: 16-23 square metres
Features: furnished, own kitchenette and bathroom, linoleum floor


233 up to 252 EUR / month


35 Places


Size: 11-14 square metres
Features: Furnished, linoleum or carpeting
Jointly use of kitchen and bathroom


215 up to 226 EUR / month


148 Places

Application requirements

Eligible to live in residents are students of the
- University of Heidelberg
- the University of Education
- the University for Church Music (Hochschule für Kirchenmusik)
- Heilbronn University
- Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University Mosbach
- University for Jewish Studies (Hochschule für jüdische Studien)
- Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University Heilbronn
as well as examination candidates of these higher education establishments, as long as they can, according to the relevant regulations, be called on to pay fees.

You can apply without already having matriculated or receiving a letter of admission: however, you must be prove your student status at the latest four weeks after you have moved in. If you fail to do this, you are not eligible for accommodation and so your rental contract will be terminated immediately and without a notice period.

Application deadline

There are no set application deadlines. Applications should nevertheless be sent in by July 1 for the winter semester and by January 1 for the summer semester, because these are the dates when the housing-office starts to allocate rooms and send out contracts. Students who send in late applications have less of a chance of obtaining housing and will have fewer options to chose from.

You can apply at the earliest nine months before you wish to begin a rental. Applications become void six months after they are received. However, before the six months are up you can send a written confirmation and the application will then remain valid for a further six months.


You can apply online.

The application for Erasmus students, which will be sent to you by the International Office, allows you to request a room in a student residence. Information on whether a room has been reserved for you will usually be available at the Akademische Auslandsamt about a month before the start of the semester.

Due to the high number of ERASMUS-exchange students and the limited number of rooms in student residences, it is unfortunately impossible for the Akademische Auslandsamt to offer a room in a student residence to all ERASMUS-exchange students. This applies, in particular, to the winter semester.

The Akademisches Auslandsamt cooperates with the Studentenwerk to secure rooms in student residences for international exchange students coming to Heidelberg.

In part 2 of the "Application and Immatriculation as an Exchange Student", you can decide whether you want to have a room in a student residence or you search a private room by yourself.

Additional information

Admission generally proceeds on a first-come first-served basis.
Priority treatment goes to cases of hardship, e.g.: low income, illness or disabilities. A case of hardship must be proven in writing (e.g. disabled person's pass, proof of parental income, BAföG assessment, etc.). Please send documents to the following e-mail address:
You can find more information here and here.

Adress and contact

Humboldtstraße 21
69120 Heidelberg

Tel. +49 6221 54 26 97


Studierendenwerk Heidelberg
Contact by e-mail
View website

Nearest stop/station (public transportation)

Bunsen-Gymnasium: Tram 21 and 24, bus 31

Back to top