Proof of financing

Before you begin your studies, you will have to prove that you have enough money to support yourself. The document you need is called a “Finanzierungsnachweis”, or proof of financial resources. In most cases, applicants have to prove that they have around 11.208 euros at their disposal for one year. This amount of money is called "Regelbedarf", which means it is the amount of money that is estimated to be needed by a student to live in Germany for one year.

Short & Sweet

You are asked for proof of financing when you apply for a visa. At the latest, you will need to present it when you apply for a residence permit in Germany.

For more and binding information, contact the German embassy or German consulate in your home country!

Proof of financing: Various ways

There are a number of ways to show that you can finance your studies. The following forms of proof are possible:

  • Your parents can submit
  • Someone with permanent residence in Germany can guarantee the to cover your expenses.
  • A security payment can be deposited into a .
  • You can present a .
  • You can present a scholarship award notification from a recognised scholarship provider.

Make sure to inquire at the German embassy in your country as to which form of financial proof is required!

Proof of financing
Proof of financing© DAAD/contentküche


From 1 January 2023, the presumed annual requirement that must be paid into the blocked account when applying for a visa amounts to 11,208 euros. Form the winter semester 2024/25 onwards the annual requirement will be 11.904 Euro. 


Many international students use a blocked account to finance their studies in Germany. It’s called a “blocked account” because the money deposited into the account cannot be withdrawn until you have arrived in Germany. 

It is relatively easy to open a blocked account. There are a few points you should remember:

1. Apply early enough
You can open a blocked account at various local German banks or online. Since there are many banks that provide blocked accounts, you should carefully check the respective offer before setting up the account. It usually takes just a week for the paperwork to be processed and the confirmation of your payment. It can take much longer, however, when the semester begins. That’s why we recommend completing the application for a blocked account well in advance.


2. Certify the application and required documents
For some local banks it is neccessary to have the completed forms and a copy of your passport certified by a German consulate general or the German embassy in your country. Only then should you send your documents to the selected financial institute. Please note: Do not send your documents as attached scans by e-mail or by fax; the bank only accepts originals. You can also of course open a blocked account online. This is often quicker and less complicated as you can upload documents and verify your identity digitally. Contact your choosen bank for more detailed and binding information.


If you would like to work in Germany, there are certain rules you have to observe as an international student.

3. Open your account
If your documents are in order, the bank sets up a blocked account for you. This costs a one-time fee of 50-150 euros. As soon as your account is ready, you have to deposit the presumed annual requirement into it.


4. Withdraw money
Once you’ve arrived in Germany, you should make an appointment in a branch office of your . The bank officer will help you get an EC card, with which you can withdraw money from cash machines, and provide you with your login data for online banking. If you applied for your account online you will in most cases receive the card and further info via post.


You should find out early enough how you have to provide your proof of financing.

One way is the blocked account, which many use. It is not difficult to set up.